Hyper-V Hosted Lab
RequirementsTo launch and use a Hyper-V hosted lab, the following requirements must be met:
- Have a supported browser. (IE 8+, Edge 1+, Chrome 16+, Firefox 11+, Safari 6+)
Be connected to a network that allows at least one of the following:
- Secure Web sockets on port 443 (HTML5 control)
- Web sockets over HTTP port 80 and HTTP over Port 843 (Flash control)
- HTTPS over port 443 (Silverlight control)
- RDP over port 21xxx or 443 (Enhanced control)
- If you are installing the Enhanced control, you must have administrative rights on the local machine.
Machines in your lab can be accessed using any one of four virtual machine controls. You can freely change between controls to find the one that works best for you.
|Control||Internet Explorer||Microsoft Edge||Firefox||Chrome||Safari|
|Flash||Flash 11+||Websockets||80 & 8432||Flash 11+||Websockets||80 & 8432||Flash 11+||Websockets||80 & 8432||Flash 11+||Websockets||80 & 8432||Flash 11+||Websockets||80 & 8432|
|Silverlight||Silverlight 4+||HTTP||443||NA||NA||NA||Silverlight 4+||HTTPS||443||Silverlight 4+||HTTP||443||Silverlight 4+||HTTP||80|
|Enhanced3,4||8+||RDP||21xxx or 443||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA|
Important Note: When Using Windows Server Operating Systems
When connecting to Learn on Demand Systems Training Management Systems (TMS) portals with a computer having Windows Server operating systems on it, you may experience difficulty in connecting to the sign-in page or clicking on some buttons. Steps to remediate can be found here.
Connection Assessment Test
If you are experiencing frequent disconnects or lag when controlling your machines, you may be asked to run a connection assessment test.
Firewall Exception Rule InformationFor those that need to create a firewall exception rule to allow connectivity to the Lab on Demand servers (this isn't common), the following information can be used to create a limited destination rule to only allow the above protocols and ports from your network to the Lab on Demand cloud.
- Domain Names: *.labondemand.com, *.learnondemandsystems.com, *.learnondemand.net, *.holsystems.com
- IP Range: 188.8.131.52/25, 184.108.40.206 - 220.127.116.11, 206.196.30.001 - 206.196.30.056, 18.104.22.168/24
The Lab on Demand system is a cloud platform that automatically provisions and connects the learner with private sandboxed resources. There is no way to predict which IP address in the cloud the learner will connect to for the provisioning of their virtual machines. This is why we provide a range of IP addresses and only a second level domain name.
The domains and IP addresses in the table below may also be required as firewall exceptions. We strongly encourage using names, and not IP addresses, for firewall and proxy configuration if at all possible, as the IP addresses may change without warning (and without documentation update). This allows access even in network failover and future geographic targeting scenarios. If specific IP addresses must be used, use the following table as a guide for IP addresses:
|DNS name||IP Address 1||IP Address 2|
|holsystems.blob.windowsazure.com||(refer to Microsoft's documentation)|
|holsystems.blob.core.windows.net||(refer to Microsoft's documentation)|
Lab Software Whitelisting Information
Software that communicates with remote servers outside of the lab environment may need addresses whitelisted with the vendor to work. The below address ranges are used by NAT internet access labs.
- IP Ranges: 22.214.171.124 - 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52 – 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124